A Look Back and a Leap

As we approach the end of the first term of second year, it seems like an appropriate time to look back on how much has changed since last year.
I’ve moved to Stokes Croft which is a bit further out of the way in comparison to my city centre halls from last year, but it’s allowed me to discover loads of more interesting places in Bristol. I’m a big fan of Gloucester Road and the walk down Cotham Brow is surprisingly satisfying at the end of the day.

It does feel like a massive leap from last year in every way: Every unit I’m taking is more in depth and focused, meaning it really is time to show what we’re made of – which is both exciting and daunting at the same time. There really is a range of assessments and just classes generally, with everything from traditional lectures to small debates on our favourite films. I’m really looking forward to next term as I have a unit on animation – I’ve never done anything like it before and am really excited to learn more about it.

One of the things that hasn’t changed since last year is my involvement in lots of extracurricular projects. I definitely am at my best when busy, so like taking on various responsibilities, both productive and fun.
I’ve enjoyed running the Film and TV section of the university’s student newspaper, whilst flitting between various meetings and projects – and of course making sure to fit in a good bit of dancing here and there too.

My other main extracurricular commitment on top of Epigram the newspaper is to Studiospace, the drama department’s very own film and theatre society. Being one of two Film reps for it means that I oversee the various projects, notably the production of quite a few short films. The process has just started to get going now and it’s so exciting to see everybody getting involved. It’s really rewarding to be able to help people materialise their creative ideas. On top of “work”, I get to organise various film related events like screenings and workshops which is really fun. I think that I’m really lucky to be studying something that I want to spend all of my spare time doing, too.

Overall a busy and exciting year so far, definitely a step up and fingers crossed it shall remain to go in the right direction as the year goes on!

Ella Ella-Kemp-tb

Tagged with:
Posted in Film and Television