Year 2, Teaching Block 2

The second term of second year is flying by. I have noticed a definite increase in workload and as two of my modules are practical as well as theoretical, it feels like double the amount of work. We have an exciting project approaching that lets us create a small piece of theatre at the Bristol Old Vic, so my partner and I are trying to create a sort of memory bank as an audio tour. It’s something I’ve never tried before, and being able to work so site specifically is very fun. However there are still essays looming and work files for every practical project that we do, so it’s not all fun and games.
As there is so much work at the moment, I am finding time management to be incredibly important, particularly after having taken on several extra-curricular projects this term. Without an organised calendar I would be at a loss.
One project I am involved in is a devised play with the society Spotlights. It involves working with a charity and I have found it an incredible learning curve but also a rather tricky experience. I’m hoping everything works out in the next fortnight before the opening of the show!
I am continuing to teach children drama and have had my ups and downs with it this term. I find each session creeps up on me so quickly. I always enjoy it when I’m there, particularly with the younger children (aged 6-8) who are a joy to teach and are like little sponges, eager to soak up information and games, but every week I tell myself I’ll prepare further in advance to make it easier for myself. It has been such an amazing experience, although I do feel I’ve aged by several decades by the amount of stress they can cause.
Thankfully playing volleyball for First Team provides an outlet to let me de-stress, and our team has been doing so well that it’s always a boost after a long day studying. We have one more match to determine whether we come first or second in our league, and we could even possibly reach the playoffs for the Premiership league!

Kate Kate-Wyver-tb

Tagged with:
Posted in Theatre