Winding Down

My final term at University! Even as I write these words I don’t think I’ve fully comprehended the existential enormity of this situation. After spending much of the rest of my life knowing what is coming next, the end of an arts degree entails a comprehension of the world of possibilities waiting out there come the summer. The burden of choice can seem heavy!
I have decided to complete a TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) course over the summer, with a view to teaching in Spain next year. This is to hone my Spanish and experience the culture of a different country whilst (hopefully) making a positive impact. Teaching has always been of interest to me, and my interest in it has been augmented by my participation this term in a scheme called Philosophy for Children, run through the university. The scheme is a means by which philosophy students at Bristol can teach philosophy to a local primary school class once a week, in collaboration with their class teacher. This has been a great experience, and a nice alternative to the rigorous world of academia. Whilst not being without its challenges (it can be hard to communicate to 8 year olds exactly what philosophy is!) it’s nonetheless a lot of fun and great to get out into the local community and work with children. They often have more insightful views than one may think!
Many graduates have warned me of the stressful dangers of “finals”. However, the way the Philosophy BA is structured at Bristol all but completely alleviates this worry. Given that the second year is worth 40% of the final degree mark, and that the two terms of final year are evenly weighted in terms of marks, I have already completed 70% of my degree. Furthermore, I only have one exam in the summer, the rest of my assessed work coming in the form of essays. This allows for a more evenly balanced final term, and is giving me time to get interested in my modules (Ethics and Literature, Contemporary British Cinema and an Extended Essay on Psychiatry and Schizophrenia) and also to appreciate my final term of university life in general.

Maxmax-simon-tb

Tagged with:
Posted in Philosophy