Winding down for Christmas

This has been the most challenging but the most rewarding term of my university life so far. In my previous two years at Bristol, my progress had been almost exclusively assessed via exams; however, this year is more heavily weighted towards essays. I prefer this mode of assessment (cramming for exams can often feel like a futile process) but it means a more ongoing mode of assessment, and more regular deadlines. Now the term has come to an end however, I feel I have a good understanding of my units, and am inspired to keep reading during the holidays.
Third year means extended essays for a philosophy student; one in each term. My first essay focussed on the philosophy of language, specifically on metaphor and how it works. Some particularly apt metaphors seem to communicate a plethora of information, even a whole perspective, in so few words. I was assessing various issues surrounding how this works. 7000 words (the required length) can at first seem like a mountain to climb, but in the end I actually found that I had too much to say!
I’m now taking a well-deserved break from studying before the post-Christmas revision kicks in. My housemates and I cooked a big, gluttonous Christmas meal, and I have been spending a lot of time sitting in front of a pint of ale, solving the world’s problems from a wooden pub stool. The end of university is beginning to feel imminent though – soon I’ll be tackling these problems in the real world …

Max max-simon-tb

Tagged with:
Posted in Philosophy