Approaching Graduation

It’s an odd feeling to find myself on the other side of the degree. Three years seems to have flown by, but also seems to have been the busiest and fullest time of my life.
My placement with the Tobacco Factory was greatly enjoyable (despite a broken wrist in the middle of the run!) and Mayfest was a roaring success. I hope to work for them again in the future as I had a fantastic time working as their marketing and producing intern in the lead up to the festival, and then working more practically on Mayfest itself, co-designing the opening party and assisting the production manager throughout the eleven days of plays, installations, workshops, talks and general theatrical revelry.
This term I had two major essays to write as the final component of my English degree. The module was on Victorian and Modern literature, so I wrote the first on unbridled passion in Wuthering Heights and The Mill on the Floss and the second on waste, memory and desire in T. S. Eliot’s poetry. It’s remarkable to compare these pieces to the essays I submitted in my first year and to see how much my writing style and individual flair had developed over the three years!
Having handed in all of my English coursework and completed the critical analysis to accompany my placement, I enjoyed watching the independent study projects that the single honours Theatre students in my year had been working on, and found that I had suddenly finished my degree! Since then, I have been able to spend a month relaxing and exploring more of Bristol, all the while nervously anticipating results day, and starting to look for houses and jobs for next year.
Now, at the start of my last long summer, I am delighted to say I will be graduating with a First Class Honours Degree in three weeks’ time! I feel sad, but also incredibly excited to be leaving university; it’s great to be staying in the city that I love with a bit more freedom to design my own life. I will shortly be moving into a house in South Bristol with two other girls from my course, and I’m hoping to pursue a career as a freelance stage manager and writer, so I am currently applying for project-based theatre work, as well as for part-time journalist jobs. Here’s hoping.

Charlie charlie-smalley-tb

Tagged with:
Posted in Film and Television, Theatre