Studying classic theatre and producing a show myself

It’s nearly Christmas, which not only means that Park Street is twinkling with fairy lights and we are walking around with hoods up, scarves on and cinnamon-spiced lattes, but also that I have nearly finished my first term! I think the fact that it has flown by is testament to just how involved with the Theatre Department you can get. I have just completed my first unit, which involved restaging part of Howard Barker’s rather unique play Wounds to the Face. I specialised in the production areas of costume and set design, and though it was hectic and challenging at times, a lot was learnt and it was great fun to put on our first piece in the Wickham Theatre.

Besides the production unit, my course involves looking at how contemporary theatre companies tackle the restaging of classic works. As a department we took a trip to see Chekhov’s The Cherry Orchard at the Young Vic in London which sparked very interesting debate in the following seminars. This week I was incredibly excited to visit the Bristol Old Vic and witness the tech/dress rehearsal of the big Christmas show, Swallows and Amazons, my favourite childhood novel. As a group we had the chance to talk to the director about the challenges he faced in restaging the text and how he has changed the production since its 2010 debut, which was a roaring success. Next Tuesday we also get to attend the press night! I’m looking forward to seeing how the production changes between the tech/dress rehearsals and then.

Other than being caught up in the exciting content of my course, I have also been involved in various drama societies. I helped to produce a show called La Dispute for the Spotlights drama society which will run 7-9th December at Hamilton House theatre. It should be a unique and powerful performance so come along if you are in the area! I had never produced a show before, but I am thoroughly enjoying the experience, even though there is a lot of pressure and responsibility as I am learning!

– Emma

emma-corrin-tb

Tagged with:
Posted in Theatre