Moving to Bristol!

Moving to a big city, living with new people and being independent is a very daunting thought. Let alone the anticipation of a lot of reading and deadlines. Although this may seem like a massive feat, my experience of moving in was surprisingly smooth and simple. You must remember that everyone is probably feeling just as nervous and anxious.

Walking into my little flat in Northwell House on moving day felt very surreal, it seemed dull and unlived in, something I wasn’t used to at home. My first mission was to make myself at home. Feeling comfortable and cosy in your first-year halls is surprisingly important; it’s nice to have that little space that is yours and only yours. In my flat we have 3 girls and 3 boys, so a nice balance. We were all quite shy and reserved when meeting, but fresher’s week really allowed us to bond well. I do wish I had kept my door open a bit more during the early weeks, however, to make more conversation with my flat mates at an earlier stage rather than simply going out with them during the evenings when you have less of a chance to talk.

After a long summer, I was very excited to begin the course and get to know the people I’ll be working with for the next 3 years. I tried to get involved and contribute as much as I could in lectures and seminars, which I think was a useful and positive way to begin the semester. The work load was fairly light to begin with, which allowed me to ease into uni life and really settle in to Bristol.

I would recommend getting as involved as possible in societies and socials in the first few weeks as this is the best opportunity to get to know different groups of people. This first semester may seem scary and hectic but it’s supposed to be an exciting and fun time to try new things and meet new people so the best advice I can give is jump in and make the most of it!

– Jasmin

jasmin-greenland-tb

Tagged with:
Posted in Film and Television