Essays, Exams, and Exciting New Units

The end of last term was a blur of essay panic. I don’t know why I always end up at that point. There is always more than enough time throughout the term to work on the essays, and I do use that time, but somehow I always end up in a panicked state towards the end. However, I’m happy with how the essays turned out. Last term as a whole was very fulfilling. I got to be involved in some great projects with some great people. One highlight was being allowed to prepare and lead a session where we were teaching Philosophy, under the heading ‘What is it to be human?’ at a charity called IDEAL for their Domino Effect Program. They do great things, so look them up if you’re ever in Bristol. Another highlight was my Philosophy Extended Essay. Basically, you get to do your extended essay on whatever you’d like (within reason), and I got to do mine on the need for including indigenous religions in the mainstream study of the Philosophy of Religion.

The beginning of this term was all about exams. I would say I prefer exams to essays, because once you’re in the examination room, you’re forced to do your best and then walk away. My constant approach with exams is to prepare as much as you can, and then stay calm and do the best you can. That approach has never failed me. I’m looking forward to working on my Theology Dissertation more this term, since I had to focus on the Philosophy one last term. I have to present some of my dissertation in less than a month (please send good thoughts my way.) I’m also looking forward to my Philosophy units –Feminist Philosophy and Ethics and Literature. This year, Ethics and Literature is focusing on Race, and we get to read great African-American, Black-British and African Literature, and examine Race from a philosophical perspective. It’s great to have such relevant and needed units, and I think the Philosophy Department has made real efforts recently to offer a Philosophy that can be enjoyed by all groups of people.

Vanessa 

Tagged with:
Posted in Philosophy