Six Months

The other day as I was thinking about how it’s strange that it seems the first year of University is coming to an end, I realised that actually I’ve only been here for just under six months. Six months. It doesn’t really sound feasible for how much my life has changed in that short amount of time. I now have friends who before October I didn’t know existed in the world, I’ve been bitten by the improvisation bug and find a lot of my time spent with the crazy but loveable society, plus I think I have mastered the task of food shopping – last week I only spent six pounds on a weekly shop!
I remember how terrified I was all through the summer leading up to being booted off into the wider world; I was adamant that I wouldn’t make any friends as well as pretty certain I’d give myself food poisoning. I’ve never been good with the idea of change. Some people thrive from the adventure of it but I just always worry that I won’t like the future as much as the present. However coming to University I’ve learnt that change can actually be epic – and this environment is one of the easiest places to accept change. At the beginning we were all in the same boat; everyone was nervous around each other, everyone was worried they wouldn’t fit in but the fact that everyone was worried about the same thing actually created solidarity. Even now months on, I still meet new people who in that student community feel will switch numbers with you on the get-go and invite you round to a flat party; because most people just want to have the opportunity to be sociable.
That isn’t to say that there are never times I feel lonely or excluded, but I think that’s something that is unavoidable; the important thing is to remember that the feeling isn’t founded in truth. There will always be someone who is ready to talk, is up for going to see a film or will come over for dinner. Meeting people in University is a unique experience and one you should look forward to.

Hannahhannah-taylor-tb

Tagged with:
Posted in Film and Television