The third year so far

I’m in my third and final year of university. I’ve loved my time here so far; I’d never lived away from home before and came straight out of school. After having such a close knit group of friends back home and a mother who did almost everything for me, it was a bit of a shock at first to have to meet an entirely new set of people and learn to do everything for myself (including how to use a washing machine…) but I settled in really quickly and now I can’t imagine not living in Bristol!

I really enjoy the city, it’s very nice looking and it has so much to offer in terms of stuff to do. All my friends from home say they’ve heard that Bristol is a really vibrant city, and I can only agree with them. It’s also relatively small and a short car journey in any direction will take you to beautiful countryside, so it appeals to a really broad range of people.

At the university, there’s loads of extra-curricular activities to get involved in, both inside and out of my course; last year I went to North Carolina to do some archaeology, and this year I’m doing the Bristol Plus Award which focuses on career development and will leave me with a certificate that I can put on my CV.

I’ve always enjoyed my course because I’m so interested in it and it covers such a range of things, from practical archaeology to the history of almost everything; I’m currently writing essays on the popularity of castles as heritage attractions and about the fine line between archaeology and treasure hunting in the early excavations of Ancient Egyptian sites. I have loved university and would love to continue my education, so I am hoping to do a masters in Heritage Management or Museum Studies, although this depends on my grades this year. I’d like a career in this area but it will require getting a lot of work experience so I’m trying to get some work in one of the many museums in Bristol.

– Orla

orla-lahert-tb

Tagged with:
Posted in Archaeology and Anthropology