Back in Bristol

Back in Bristol! After an eventful summer, I was ready to get back into university life. The first challenge was writing three essays in the first five weeks of term. This seemed a daunting task, supplemented by the added pressure of second year counting towards my final mark. However, once I started reading and thinking again everything came flooding back. This was helped by the fact that the issues being addressed got far more interesting – a more detailed focus on specific issues in philosophy: harder but equally more satisfying. The essays included debates about the existence of fictional characters and the prevalence of possible worlds in language analysis.

I have also found the more philosophy I do, the harder life’s more menial tasks become. Having a debate about the nuances of meaning in language now seems a far easier task than doing the washing up!

The second year of university also brings about the problem of the cold house. Gone are the days of halls where one leaves the heater on and opens a window when the room gets stuffy. With heating bills costing a bomb, an afternoon in the library begins to look infinitely more attractive. Maybe this isn’t the worst thing in the world though.

Aside from academia I have also found time for fun. I have made good use of the Watershed cinema’s cheap student offers, and continued my film-reviewing endeavours. Free time has also been permeated by regular pub trips and extravagant cooking pursuits with friends. Post-essay deadlines, I also found the time to spend a few days in London, involving large amounts of delicious Lebanese food and a wonderful photography exhibition. This break was needed and valuable: I am now ready to return to Bristol for the second half of term.

– Max

max-simon-tb

Tagged with:
Posted in Philosophy